Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Kenneth.

Eighteen years ago today was a very special day in my life. I had become an aunt to my first nephew, Kenneth James Kramer. I was an aunt at age six, who would have known that eighteen years later I would be an aunt to six nephews, three nieces, and awaiting my tenth niece or nephew to be born this October. One of the greatest joys in my life has been watching my nieces and nephews grow up, watching them grow from chubby baby to wild child to the terrifying teenage years. I have been babysitter, friend, confidante, and part-time mother/father figure for the past eighteen years. God bless the hearts of my siblings for being FULL-TIME mothers and fathers because I can honestly say "I don't know HOW you do it." I enjoy being the fun Auntie Tara that gets to give the babies back when they poop their pants, give the wild children back during temper tantrums, and give the teenagers back when there is a freak-out from a cell phone being taken away. I don't mind waiting for a couple more years on having children, that way the nephews and nieces that I helped raise can be MY part time mother/father figures to my own children. What it comes down to is I LOVE every single one of my nieces and nephews and if I had it my way I would hold them and kiss them and prevent them from growing up. I cherish the little voices in my mind of them saying "Auntie Tara" and I anxiously await to hear it from my little two year old niece, Sophia.

One of the great tragedies in my life was not being able to see Kenneth grow up. His eighteenth Birthday brings a little more pain than the last six have. Today he would have stepped into adulthood and I would give anything to be able to celebrate with him. Kenneth was killed seven years ago in an alcohol related crash. It's hard not to feel cheated at times, cheated out of time spent with him, cheated out of laughs, life and love. Today is not a day to mourn Kenneth, but to remember him. Remember his goofy grin, freckled face and the sound of his voice saying "Bite your fat keeks!" when he was a baby. Today is a day to honor him and to thank God for bringing him into my life for those eleven years. To cherish the memories that will bring a smile to my face for the rest of my life. To take comfort in knowing that he is in God's hands and knowing what a remarkable young man he would be today. Today I raise my glass of champagne and I toast Kenneth. I toast him for the love and light he brought into my life, for the smiles on my face and the laughter in my heart. And I thank God for letting me experience the kind of love that only a nephew can bring me.

Rest in peace dear, sweet Kenneth. Keep the angels laughing and give Uncle John a big hug and kiss for me. The world misses your laughter, but I know I'll hear it again soon...if only in my dreams for now.

Kenneth James Kramer given to us March 20, 1989 and returned home July 12, 2000.

2 Comments:

Blogger Belle Etoile said...

He did have a lot of freckles, huh?!

We just have to know that the Lord knew best, and believe it with all our heart.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes, Tara. You are so sweet. Love you-Mom

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home